Alabama Unemployment Eligibility Requirements
Below we provide the unemployment eligibility requirements in Alabama. If you have additional information about applying for Alabama unemployment benefits then contact the Alabama unemployment office.
You can file a new claim or reopen an existing Alabama claim that was filed within the past year. Weekly Certifications for benefits may be filed online or by telephone.
You CANNOT file a claim online if:
- You worked outside the state of Alabama within the past 18 months.
- You filed a claim against a state other than Alabama in the past 12 months.
- You worked as a merchant seaman in the past 18 months.
- You worked for the federal government within the past 18 months.
- You are currently outside the United States of America.
- In the above circumstances, you must call the Alabama Unemployment Compensation Telephone Claims Line, toll free at 866-234-5382, 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM, to determine your eligibility for filing.
Before filing your claim, you MUST have the following information available:
- Your Social Security Number.
- Your work history for the last 18 months, including your employers' business names, addresses, telephone numbers, and dates of employment.
- Your alien registration number, IF you are not a U.S. Citizen.
- Copy # 4 of your DD Form 214, IF released from the military in the past 18 months.
- Your Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) certification letter and/or TAA petition number, IF you are filing for Trade Adjustment Assistance Benefits.
- The name and local number of your union hiring hall, IF you obtain your work through a union hiring hall.
- Your bank routing number and checking/savings account number, IF Direct Deposit is desired
- A telephone number where you can be reached during normal business hours, ( 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday-Friday ).
- The information you provide will be used to determine your eligibility for Unemployment Compensation benefits. It is important that your answers are accurate and complete for each question asked. The law provides penalties for making false statements to obtain unemployment benefits.
How Do I File For Alabama Unemployment Benefits?
To file a new unemployment claim or re-open an existing claim: website www.dir.alabama.gov/uc/ or call 866-234-5382
To file weekly claim certification: web address: www.dir.alabama.gov/uc/ or telephone: Montgomery local area 334-954-4094; Birmingham local area 205-458-2282; or other areas 800-752-7389
- To ask or inquire about your unemployment compensationclaim or reset your PIN code: call 800-361-4524
- Questions concerning Debit Cards: call 334-353-9084
- Questions concerning an unemployment compensation overpayment: call 334-242-8800
- Questions concerning Trade Readjustment Allowance (TRA) or Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) training programs: call 334-242-8635
- Questions concerning employer filed partial unemployment claims: call 334-242-7953
- To request UC-relatedposters, Employer Handbooks, or copies of lost documents or past work history: call 334-242-8945
- Employer questions concerning Notice of Separation and Determination: call 334-242-8620
- Questions concerning Out-of-State unemployment claims: call 334-242-8625
- Questions concerning Employer Tax Account numbers: call 334-242-8830
- Questions concerning Delinquent notices, liens, or garnishments: call 334-242-8065
- Employer questions concerning Experience Rating, Benefit Charging, Power of Attorneys (POA), or Tax Rate Notices: call 334-242-8888
- Employer questions concerning Quarterly Reports, including copies of past reports: call 334-242-8075
- Questions regarding re-certifications of taxable wages or proof of payment (940C): call 334-242-8674
- Questions concerning 1099-G forms: call 334-242-8960
- Claimants approved for direct deposit with questions concerning direct deposits of unemployment compensation benefits: call 334-242-8960
- Questions regarding unemployment compensation appeals: See Hearing and Appeals Section of the Contact Page. http://dir.alabama.gov/contacts/UC_QA_INFORMATION.aspx
- File online here: https://dir.alabama.gov/uc/Claims/welcome.aspx
- Official Alabama Unemployment Handbook: http://dir.alabama.gov/docs/guides/uc_brr.pdf