How To File For Nevada Unemployment

This page provides information on how to file for unemployment in Nevada. If you lost your job or your hours were reduced at no fault of your own, you may qualify to receive unemployment benefits in your state. Review the information below, if you still have questions or issues about these benefits, then we suggest to contact your local Nevada Unemployment Department for assistance. It is important that you file your new claim right away because Nevada unemployment insurance are not retroactive.

To receive unemployment benefits an unemployed person must:

  • File a claim online or with the Nevada Telephone Claim Center
  • Be physically able to work
  • Be available and willing to accept suitable employment if offered
  • Make a reasonable and sincere effort to find a job
  • Be unemployed through no fault of your own and meet all other conditions of the law regarding unemployment benefits

Some reasons you may not qualify for unemployment benefits are:

  • If you quit your last job or next to last job without good cause
  • If you were discharged from your last job or next to last job for misconduct in connection with your work
  • If while receiving unemployment benefits you refuse an offer of suitable work without good cause
  • If you give misinformation or withhold information concerning the reason for your separation from your last job
  • If you fail to properly report wages earned by you regardless of amount

Filing Nevada unemployment claim

You can file for unemployment benefits over the phone by calling the Telephone Claim Center. In Southern Nevada call 702-486-0350. In Northern Nevada call 775-684-0350 and for Rural Nevada call 888-890-8211. Or you can quickly and easily file online by visiting

Determining amount of unemployment benefits

The amount of benefits an individual will be paid depends on how much he earned in his "Base Period." The minimum amount of benefits is $16 per week, and the maximum amount changes each year (effective July 1), and is equal to 50 percent of the average weekly wage (excluding tips) paid to Nevada workers. Generally, state unemployment benefits are paid for a maximum of 26 weeks. During times of recession, this may be extended under a separate federal/state extended benefits program. There are also other emergency federal programs in force, as determined by Congress.

Base Period

The base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior to filing a valid claim for benefits. There are four calendar quarters:

First Quarter January, February, March
Second Quarter April, May, June
Third Quarter July, August, September
Fourth Quarter October, November, December
Alternate Base Period

Under certain circumstances, a claimant who has not earned enough wages during his regular base period, because he was receiving total or partial disability benefits, may choose an "alternate" base period. The alternate base period consists of the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters immediately preceding the first day of the calendar week in which his disability began. Benefits paid on a claim using the alternate base period will not be charged to the employer's experience record.

Benefit Charges to Base Period Employers

Unemployment benefits paid to claimants are charged to the experience record of employers who paid wages to that person during his base period. There are two possible methods of charging the benefits, depending on the amount of wages paid by employers:

  • If one of the base period employers paid 75 percent or more of the wages, all of that person's benefits are charged to the experience record of that employer. However, if the employer can show that the claimant left his employ voluntarily without good cause or was discharged for misconduct or was the spouse of an active member of the Armed Forces of the United States and left his employment because his spouse was transferred to a different location, the benefits will not be charged to his experience record
  • If there is no employer who paid 75 percent or more of the wages, the benefits are charged to all base period employers in proportion to the amount of wages paid. In this case, none of the base period employers have the opportunity to obtain a non-charge ruling to their experience records, even if the worker voluntarily quit without good cause or was discharged for misconduct, unless the claimant is found to have quit employment with the last or next to last employing unit solely to accept other employment

File an appeal

If you believe that the division's determination is improper, you have the right to appeal. Appeals may be filed in person at any office of the Employment Security Division, or by submitting a letter addressed to the office that issued the determination, stating the reason for appealing and the name and social security number of the claimant. To be considered timely, the appeal must be filed within 11 calendar days after the date of mailing shown on the determination. The claimant has the same appeal rights and responsibilities if he believes the determination is improper. Appeals are heard by an impartial Appeal Tribunal. Decisions of the Appeal Tribunal may be appealed to the Board of Review. The decisions of the Board of Review may be appealed to the district court.

Employer Involvement: If possible, attend appeal hearings. These are informal administrative proceedings and do not require representation by legal counsel, although you may bring whomever you want to represent or assist you. If you cannot attend, please submit detailed facts in writing to the Appeals Office.